Advocacy and Policy
Asthma and allergies are some of the most common chronic diseases. AAFA supports public policies that help those with asthma and allergies. We focus on both medical and environmental sides. We also support our AAFA chapters and advocates.
Our main concerns are:
- Care, treatment and management
- Outdoor and indoor air quality
- Healthy homes, schools and communities
Our Guiding Principles
AAFA's patient-centered principles guide our policy and advocacy efforts on behalf of the asthma and allergy communities. These principles reflect AAFA’s deep commitment to evidence-based decision-making—whether that is a decision to be made by the patient, their clinician, their family or by a policy-maker.
Download PDF: Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America Guiding Principles for Patient-Centered Public Policy
Our Policy Targets
AAFA supports public policies that improve and protect quality of life and treatment options for those living with asthma, allergies, and related conditions.
Download PDF: AAFA's 2015 Policy Targets
We have policy and advocacy goals. We are led by patient needs and annual policy targets. We work to:
- Increase our impact on policy makers. We do this through advocacy, education and outreach.
- Develop and support advocacy to make AAFA a voice for people with asthma and allergies.
- Promote AAFA volunteers and advocates to the public, policy-makers, funders and other groups.